~ bring a bit of The Farmhouse with you after every visit ~

Sunday, March 10, 2013

10 Simple Ways to Brighten your Home


Fresh Flowers ~ my favorites are tulips & hydrangeas, but always find options that are in season & grown locally. I love tulips on the bedside table to start every day out on a bright note.


Pillows ~ a new set of pillow covers for your sofa, side chairs or bed will brighten any room.
Candles ~ candles always bring a smile to my face. I prefer soy candles and make sure to have plenty of scented and unscented options in white and light green.


Fruit ~ an ironstone bowl full of lemons, a wooden bowl full of fresh green pippin apples, a silver platter displayed with pomegranates or a clear glass vase filled with limes. The best options are seasonally available and locally grown.

Tea Towels ~ such an inexpensive and functional way to freshen up the kitchen.


Painted Furniture ~ a great way to freshen your home is to paint a tired furniture piece or a second-hand item. White is always fresh, but a bright green or orange can be just the pop of color to set the mood of a room.



Doormat ~ the first item that you step across to enter your home can make a big impression. I plan to monogram our IKEA sisal doormats with a large black "H" (I'll post a blog tutorial when I get to this project.) 


New Lampshade ~ such an easy update that can completely change the look and feel of the room. Painting the interior of an existing lampshade can also give a subtle glow.


Bird Stencil ~ check out the cute little bird stencil that I definitely want to create once we have switch plates at The Farmhouse. It would definitely brighten my day as I turned on the lights to fresh new day.


New Curtains ~ adding or changing out a set of curtains can refresh an entire room. We are adding curtains to our large living room windows, (mostly for insulation purposes) but it will definitely refresh the space.



No comments:

Post a Comment